While most of the MSM is simply reporting that Kavanaugh's rating was downgraded, Prof. Bainbridge uncovers
the make-up of the ABA Standing Committee that suspiciously changed its rating after some Democrats started alluding to a possible filibuster. Unbiased and non-partisan? Perhaps not.
"Just out of curiosity, I used the Opensecrets.org campaign finance database to determine whether any of the Standing Committee's members had identifiable partisan affiliations. Out of the 15 committee members, 9 had made federal campaign contributions in the 2002, 2004, and/or 2006 election cycles. Two-thirds of those (6) had contributed mainly to Democrats:
- Roberta D. Liebenberg: $750 to Representative Allyson Schwartz (D - PA)
- Kim Askew: $250 to Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) and several contributions to Mayor Ron Kirk (D-Dallas, TX)
- Charles Thompson: multiple contributions to Senator Tim Johnson (D-SD)
- Teresa Wynn Roseborough: multiple contributions to, among others, John Kerry, Max Cleland, and Wes Clark
- Marna Tucker: multiple contributions to Hillary Clinton and Emily’s List
- John Payton: multiple contributions to numerous Democratic candidates and PACs"