January 28, 2007

Review of Ben Wittes' New Book on the Judicial Confirmation Process

For whatever it is worth, in today's New York Post I have a review of Ben Wittes very interesting book CONFIRMATION WARS: PRESERVING INDEPENDENT COURTS IN ANGRY TIMES. Wittes really goes to great lengths to be fair to both sides, conservatives and liberals. Obviously, that is a very difficult task for this subject. That said, I think that people on both sides of the debate will gain from reading the book. While I wish that I thought that his proposal to eliminate the confirmation hearings would help elminate some of the bitterness, I think that this solution deals more with one of the symptoms than the causes. In the editing the review came out somewhat more critical than I think that it should have been.